How Does Maxable Vet Designers and General Contractors?
Finding high-quality and reliable designers and contractors that have ADU experience can be a lot harder than it sounds! Maxable vets companies for homeowners so they can hire with confidence. Here are our criteria for vetting these companies.
Designers & Architects
- Size: We look for firms that meet certain size requirements. Firms that are too large are not well suited to ADU projects.
- Software: We confirm they use modern design software.
- Capacity: Must be able to handle 1 ADU per month, minimum.
- Reputation: We look for an excellent reputation and minimum number of online reviews
- They must have an internal focus on ADUs and have completed ADU projects.
- Each firm must have been in business for at least 2 years.
- Each firm must carry insurance (500,000 minimum coverage)
- We check licensure boards to verify they are in current compliance and have no complaints or litigations against them.
- We ask for any professional accreditations, like the American Institute of Architects.
- We ask for 3 references.
- Each firm must have formal design training.
- All general contractors we work with have their license numbers checked and must be certified through the state board.
- Each firm must be bonded and insured for liability protection.
- Online reviews must be positive.
- The general contracting firm must have experience with ADUs and a focus on ground-up construction, ADUs, or large-scale additions.
- Each firm must have completed ADU projects.
- Must be in business for at least 2 years.
- Maxable confirms no past litigation against the general contracting firm.